If there is one thing I love, it’s getting ready for the holiday season. I wanted to start by making a wreath for the front door that wouldn’t be damaged by the opening and closing of the door. Given my love of vintage paper, that seemed the logical choice for material. I have several books with beautiful fraktur print which I bought with the idea of cutting up (though I still cringe a bit at the thought of cutting up books). I comfort myself with the thought that this way the beautiful print will be viewed and enjoyed, rather that closed off on a dusty bookshelf somewhere…
So how to begin? Rather than go through all of my machinations for deciding what stuff to use, I’ll just show you what I ended up with after some trial and error. Some of the illustrations below will have items that got edited out of the final wreath so bear with me. I started by gathering what I thought I would use. For sure I needed a substrate of some sort. I ended up getting a simple pressed-board wreath base (available at hobby stores for a couple of bucks). You could probably use a heavy cardboard ring instead but I wanted more strength.
I have some wonderful dies from Tim Holtz that I’ve been wanting to try out. I cut some from each before deciding on the Tattered Leaves die for most of the cuts. This die has the added benefit of being able to cut heavier material. I first glued book pages to chip board and trimmed those to fit through my die cut machine. I also used the new Holiday Greens Thinlits, using the magnetic base to cut those. The Thinlits will only cut paper though so I used a few for accent after the main leaves were glued down. I covered the base ring with spray E6000 and my book page sheets. Once dry I trimmed the paper and sanded the edges. Then I painted the edges with cream colored acrylic paint so none of the press-board would show.
After cutting what seemed a million leaves, I decided surely that was enough! I inked the edges and added texture to some using the Textured Leaves embossing folder. I painted a few with accents of gold (acrylic paint). Then I began to glue. I started in the center bottom and worked up one side, stopping a bit before the hole at the top center. Then, again starting from the bottom, I worked up the other side to the top. It was kind of like roof shingles, over-lapping as you go up. When all were glued I reviewed and added a few more where there seemed to be gaps. I also added a few of the Thinlit greens (which recall are just paper so I slipped them in here and there).
Once I had everything glued down, I sprayed both front and back with a clear acrylic spray. This is stinky stuff, do it in the garage or outside. Let it dry well in between coats. I did two coats. After all was dry and done stinking, I applied a ribbon to the top. Since I needed a way to hang it I made a loop in a length of 19 gauge wire and passed the straight ends through the top hole from the back (so the loop sticks out the back). From the front I gathered the ribbon making two loops, leaving two dangle-y ends out each side. I wrapped the wire around the ribbon to hold it tight, curling the ends of the wire so there was nothing pokey sticking out. Then I took a smaller flat piece of the ribbon and wrapped it around the bow loops and the ring base, tying it off and securing with staples.
Voila! Now I have a wonderful wreath to carry me through the holiday season and beyond!
Thanks for visiting! I will be sharing more holiday decor soon!
Sharing with the following excellent link parties:
Craft Dictator – Craft Frenzy Fridays
The Crafted Sparrow – the Creative Collection
French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday
Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life