Today I’d like to share one of my new favorite things – handmade journals! I created this one using the Eileen Hull passport die, which produces a 3.5″x5″ book. This one is a bit over an inch thick and made to look like pebbled leather. My son is really into photography and printing in the FujiFilm Instax mini format. This size book is perfect for keeping and displaying that sized photo. My son is one of those people who is impossible to buy gifts for. He is really not into ‘stuff’ so it’s always a challenge around birthdays and Christmas. I’m hoping to hit the mark with this project. Read on to see how I did it!
I started with Eileen Hull’s passport die, Grunge-board and Grunge-paper.
I cut two front/back boards and a spine out of Grunge-board using the die. Then I cut an over-sized piece out of Grunge-paper and trimmed one short edge with an on-the-edge die. The over-sized piece will wrap around the front to form a closure. I also cut a strip of Grunge-paper long enough to wrap from the back spine around to the front edge, and thin enough to fit through the antique key I will use as a closure.
I ran the front cover and the wrap-around piece through my Vagabond with the crocodile embossing folder. Next I painted, sprayed and wiped acrylic paint until I was satisfied with the ‘leather’ finish. You’ll notice a fifth piece of Grunge-board. I decided I wanted to cover the spine too so I cut another piece slightly wider than the spine piece. Then I assembled the book. I didn’t photograph the signatures in process but there are 3, each with 3 double sheets (cut out with the die) making 12 pages per, 36 in the whole book. I added pockets and ephemera throughout as well as photo corners on many pages since that is the point of this album. So skipping the inside assembly, the below picture shows the waxed linen twine used to attach the signatures to the spine and now I’m using that extra piece I cut to cover the spine.
I used heavy stick double sided tape to attach the spine cover. Then I also punched 3 holes each, front and back (using my Crop-a-dile II for extended reach) and added rivets to add more strength.
Above you can see the strap that wraps around as a closure in front. You can see below the key is fastened to the strap with rivets and slides through a leather strap riveted in place on the front cover. (I put two slits in the Grunge-board cover and slid the leather through, then riveted in place.) On the inside of the book these are covered. I also added magnets, both on the inside behind the leather strap and under the flap that is held in place by the key strap.
So there you have it. A very sturdy little album. This was such a joy to create, both because it was for my son but also because the dies really take a lot of the guesswork out. I’ve made several more of these small sized albums which I’ll share soon. I hope this inspires you to get into the studio and play!
I am entering this in the first ever challenge on the new Mini Album Makers Challenge blog. I am so thrilled that this great group of artists decided to do the blog. Hop over there and check it out!
Thanks for stopping by!